Apple French Toast Casserole
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 large apples, peeled and sliced thinly (I use Cortland or Empire)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 slices Italian bread, 1 inch thick
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and add apples.
- Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, water, and cinnamon and continue to cook and stir for 10 minutes until apples are tender.
- Spoon mixture into 13x9 baking dish.
- Cover apples with bread slices, making sure to cover the entire surface.
- Trim the bread to fit if you must.
- Beat eggs until foamy, then beat in milk and vanilla.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread slices.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, remove the dish from the refrigerator and let it stand while oven is preheated to 375 F.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes, or until bread is golden and firm.
- Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
- To serve on a platter, run a knife around the edges of the casserole, place platter on top of casserole, and carefully flip.
- To serve individually, use a spatula to remove serving, place serving plate on top of serving and carefully flip so apple side is up.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation