Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
My mother in law lived in the city while my father in law was in the war. She did not have a lot of money, so a little French lady taught her to make this spaghetti. She passed it down to all of our familes as we all loved it--hope you do too.
- 1 lb number 3 spaghetti
- 3 (8 ounce) cans campbell's tomato soup
- 8 ounces water
- 1 lb salt pork, sliced thin
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 lb 85% lean ground beef
- Fry salt pork until brown and crisp--not burned.
- Put on paper towel to drain and cool.
- Drain oil from frying pan; save about 2 tablespoons full.
- Put hamburger in pan; don't break it in little pieces, but put it in a circle on the outer edges of the pan.
- Add the oil from pork to the center of hamburger; add diced onion to oil.
- Do not mix onions and hamburger yet, cook hamburger til it is brown turning pieces toward ouside of pan.
- After hamburger is browned and onion is tender, add soup and water. Gently stir and simmer.
- While sauce is simmering, cook spaghetti and drain.
- Add sauce to spaghetti; break up cooked salt pork into spaghetti and stir gently.
- Put cover on pan and let set for at least 10 minutes.