Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is a restaurant quality soup.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 (48 fluid ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh thyme leave
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices French bread (thick slices) or 4 slices Italian bread (thick slices)
- 8 slices gruyere or 8 slices swiss cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup shredded asiago cheese or 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, room temperature
- 4 pinches paprika
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Stir in salt, red onions and sweet onions.
- Cook 35 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized and almost syrupy.
- Mix chicken broth, beef broth, red wine and Worcestershire sauce into pot.
- Bundle the parsley, thyme, and bay leaf with twine and place in pot.
- Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove and discard the herbs.
- Reduce the heat to low, mix in vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and keep over low heat to stay hot while you prepare the bread.
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet and broil 3 minutes, turning once, until well toasted on both sides.
- Remove from heat; do not turn off broiler.
- Arrange 4 large oven safe bowls or crocks on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Fill each bowl 2/3 full with hot soup.
- Top each bowl with 1 slice toasted bread, 2 slice Gruyere cheese and 1/4 of the Asiago or mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle a little bit of paprika over the top of each one.
- Broil 5 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown.
- As it softens, the cheese will cascade over the sides of the crock and form a beautifully melted crusty seal.
- Serve immediately!