Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Hearty, delicious soup that's great for cold winter nights. Vary the vegetables and seasonings according to your tastes/pantry-I often add beets, parsnips, turnips, sweet potatoes. Freezes very well. Great in a crockpot.
- 1 cup french green lentil, rinsed and picked over
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup yukon gold potato, diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (more to taste)
- 4 -6 cups vegetable broth (or bouillon cubes)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley (more to taste or use fresh)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Film a large pot with olive oil and heat over medium, until oil shimmers. Add celery, potatoes, onion, and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally until softened, ~ 3-4 minutes.
- Add mustard and cumin seeds and saute for 1 minute or until fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Add lentils and broth/water to pot and bring to a boil. Add liquid until it is about 1 inch over lentils. Boil for a minute or two then lower to a simmer. Cover and let cook until lentils are softened. Minimum cooking time is about 30 minutes but it can continue to simmer on low for several hours.
- Crockpot instructions: combine all ingredients in crock pot, cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Can cook longer as lentils will hold shape very well.