Recipe by Mysterygirl
My cousin gave me a cookbook with some French recipes in it for Christmas one year. This recipe was in it and has been a hit with my family ever since. We even sold it to the pool hall for their daily soup special and it was a hit with the general public too. I like a piece of warm french bread served with it.
Top Review by MizzNezz
Good, good, good!!! Lots of flavor! All I added was salt and pepper to taste. Loved the turnip flavor, and also the beans made a hearty addition. This is a "make again very soon" soup! Thanks for posting this one.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 small head of cabbage
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans
- 3 leeks
- 2 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1 carrot
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 turnip
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 garlic clove
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop up all vegetables.
- Place butter in soup pot over medium heat.
- Once melted, add the cabbage, leeks, carrot, turnip, onion, celery and garlic.
- Stir occasionally until the vegetables are tender, but not browned.
- Peel potatoes and cut into large pieces.
- Add potatoes and drained beans to pot.
- Add the water and broth.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Cut smoked sausage into small pieces and fry until browned.
- To serve, place a few pieces of sausage in the bottom of your soup bowl and ladle the soup over them.