Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My cousin gave me a cookbook with some French recipes in it for Christmas one year. This recipe was in it and has been a hit with my family ever since. We even sold it to the pool hall for their daily soup special and it was a hit with the general public too. I like a piece of warm french bread served with it.
- Chop up all vegetables.
- Place butter in soup pot over medium heat.
- Once melted, add the cabbage, leeks, carrot, turnip, onion, celery and garlic.
- Stir occasionally until the vegetables are tender, but not browned.
- Peel potatoes and cut into large pieces.
- Add potatoes and drained beans to pot.
- Add the water and broth.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Cut smoked sausage into small pieces and fry until browned.
- To serve, place a few pieces of sausage in the bottom of your soup bowl and ladle the soup over them.