Recipe by bayousong
This is a wonderful dish for hot weather! I am posting the original recipe from the USA Rice Federation as it was the Grand Prize Winner in the "Rice to the Rescue" contest. It is by Manika Misra. Notes: I use fajita chicken, basmati rice (cooked in chicken broth), and only one avocado. Also, I always use a four-pepper mix. I like it best the first day, but my husband likes it best the second. I sometimes add some fresh cilantro and we like it that way also.
- 3 cups cooked rice, cooled
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 2 avocados, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup celery, diagonally sliced
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, julienned
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- hot pepper sauce, to taste
- salad greens (optional)
- tomatoes, cut in wedges for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Place lemon juice, oil, salt, sugar, white pepper, garlic and pepper sauce in a small jar with lid; shake well.
- Pour over everything else except the rice and toss to mix well as you want to be sure to coat the avocado.
- Add the rice and mix.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.
- Adjust seasonings and serve on salad greens if used, garnishing with tomato wedges.
- NOTE: I did not include the time to cook the rice.