Recipe by Denise!
Our family lasagna recipe. Produces a drier lasagna since the noodles are cooked in the sauce. Makes a very large pan - serve with the required salad, garlic toast and a glass of nice red wine.
Top Review by Darcie Kelly
This recipe is now our family recipe! I have made it several times. Today I substituted 1/2 pound of the ground beef with bratwurst (removed the casings). We really enjoy this one, and it heats up well as leftovers. We use it for our lunches at work. I have also frozen them, and heated them up later, which is also very good. I have been shredding my own cheese, which tastes great, but takes a lot longer. If you're in a hurry, just buy the pre-shredded cheese! You'll love it!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground round
- 1 (16 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) package dry lasagna noodles
- 1 container ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup red wine (Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground round, onions and green pepper in skillet or dutch oven.
- When about half browned add the garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and thyme.
- When finished browning, remove from heat and add red wine to deglaze pan.
- After deglazing, add spaghetti sauce and continue to simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- The best part here is that you get to sample a little sauce and add any extras you think it needs.
- Maybe a little more garlic or pepper?
- Adjust to your tastes.
- Ladle a small amount of spaghetti sauce into a 9x13 inch pan.
- This is more to keep the noodles from sticking than anything else.
- Cover bottom of pan with DRY noodles and add more sauce.
- Top with one third of all the cheeses- mozzarella, cheddar, jack cheese& parmesan.
- Add another layer of noodles and coat with the container of ricotta cheese.
- Sprinkle generously with parmesan and more white cheeses.
- Add the final layer of noodles, the rest of the sauce, and the rest of the cheeses.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.