Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This stew is perfect for warming up on a wintry day. It is a good dish to make when you're busy, since it's quick to prepare and doesn't need attention while cooking. Instead of noodles, you can serve it with rice.
- 2 lbs lean beef chuck or 2 lbs round steaks, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon browning sauce (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup dry cream of rice
- 4 carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine or 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar button mushrooms, undrained
- cooked noodles
- In a medium Dutch oven or 3-qt. casserole, toss meat with browning sauce. Mix in cereal. Add all remaining ingredients except noodles. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Serve with noodles.