Recipe by Susie T
This is one of my favourite recipes because it is so easy and can be made in a low fat version (see my low-fat fettucine carbonara version recipe)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 slices bacon, fat removed and chopped into chunks (the smokey variety is tastier)
- 600 ml light cream
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, the shredded variety
- 1 teaspoon salt, I usually add a little more
- 500 g fettuccine pasta
- 1 teaspoon oil, for boiling pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt, for boiling pasta
- parmesan cheese, extra
Directions See How It's Made
- Place water in a large saucepan with a little oil and salt.
- Bring to the boil and add fettucine.
- Stir for a few minutes to prevent fettucine from sticking together.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan and gently cook onion, garlic and bacon on medium heat until onion becomes soft being careful not to burn.
- In a bowl beat the eggs.
- Pour in cream and whisk together.
- Add salt and pepper and mix well.
- Transfer cream mixture into saucepan (off the heat) with onion, garlic and bacon and stir quickly to combine.
- When pasta is cooked, drain into a large serving bowl and stir in the carbonara sauce and combine well.
- The heat of the pasta will cook the sauce and thicken.
- Serve immediately with some extra parmesan cheese.