Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you can't get prosciutto - Italy's famous ham - cook two extra slices of bacon.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and crisp-cooked
- 3 ounces prosciutto, sliced 1/8-inch thick and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1 (9 ounce) packagerefrigerated fettuccine
- In a medium saucepan, cook onion in hot butter about 5 minutes or just until tender. Stir in crisp-cooked bacon and the prosciutto. Cook and stir for 3 minutes more.
- Carefully add white wine. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add cream and milk; bring to a gentle boil.
- Gradually add 1 cup of cream mixture to egg yolk, stirring constantly. Add egg yolk mixture to cream mixture in saucepan. Return to a gentle boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and parsley, stirring just until cheese melts.
- Meanwhile, cook the fettuccine according to package directions; drain well. Pour the sauce over hot pasta. Toss to coat. Sprinkle pasta with additional Parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper, if desired. Makes 6 side-dish servings.