Spaghetti Alla Carbonara
photo by Ambervim
- Ready In:
- Cook the pasta following the instructions on the package.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan and saute the onion and bacon for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and saute for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, then stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Grate the parmesan cheese and stir it into the cream mixture.
- Stir the cream mixture into onion and bacon and cook over low heat for a few minutes, stirring constantly until heated. Do not overcook, or else you will end up with scrambled eggs.
- Season to taste.
- Drain the pasta thoroughly and put into a large serving bowl.
- Pour on the sauce and toss to coat.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
For anyone having issues with the eggs hardening, you can prevent that by tempering them with a little of the pasta water. I usually mix my cheese, egg, and parsley together and add maybe half a cup of pasta water while it's still warm whisking constantly. Then dump it over the pasta and turn it for about a minute or two. I've never had an issue using that method.
I've been making this for years, but had to give it up because of the pancetta. Finally! I have found a glorious beef substitute, and I'll be back to making it full time. I've loved it since the day I found it - cheesy, smokey, eggy goodness. Its just like I ate in Italy; great balanced flavours, not to much of any one thing, so all the ingredients work together perfectly. Brilliant!
I made this today for lunch. I didn't have any bacon so I used ham instead. It still came out great. Instead of heating the egg mixture with the onions and bacon, I added the onions and bacon to the egg mixture. I was afraid of getting scrambled eggs. I then transfered the hot, drained pasta into a pot and added the egg mixture and let it simmer for about 5 minutes mixing it the whole time as I wanted to make sure the eggs weren't still raw. Next time, I'll try it with bacon and maybe add some fresh herbs as this was good but felt like it was missing a little something.