Recipe by Sydney Mike
This vegan recipe, along with its regular counterpart, is from the 2001 As You Like It Cookbook
Top Review by Kozmic Blues
I liked this recipe a lot! BUT, I am not giving it any stars at this time because I made too many changes and subs. First of all I didn't have bulgar wheat so I subbed millet instead. This is a great SUB if you are gluten free. I went against some of my zaar friend's advice, and did NOT cook the millet first. I thought there would be enough water in the mixture to cook it all through. Which, there actually WAS...sort of! The millet in the middle and bottom of the loaf was cooked nicely, but the millet that remained on the top part of the loaf just got crunchy...kind of like those colored balls on top of italian cookies!! LOL Now here's where I strayed from the recipe again. I did not have "beef" flavored broth, so I used a dark veggie broth, and added a bit of vegan worcestershire sauce, but I think I was a tiny bit heavy handed with it. Plus I was also thinking the bit of extra liquid would help cook the millet, since it needs to absorb more than bulgar wheat. I also ran out of sesame oil, I had BARELY 1 tsp, so I shook in a little bit of Bragg's to make up the difference. I ended up baking my loaf for the stated 40 minutes, then 15 minutes more, then another 10, before all the liquid was absorbed. BUT the top came out nice and brown, and it was stayed together when I sliced it. I now I realize I fiddled witht his recipe a lot, but I really enjoyed the texture and flavor, even with my extra seasonings, which I will not use so much of next time!
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, finely diced
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup Bulgar wheat
- 3⁄4 cup textured vegetable protein, dry
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 2 teaspoons vegetarian beef bouillon powder
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then oil an 8"x4" loaf pan & set it aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, then add onions, carrots, garlic, savory, thyme & salt.
- Saute for about 3 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften, then add the bulghur & cook another 3 minutes, before removing from the heat & setting aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, Textured Vegetable Protein, hot water & vegetarian beef bouillon & mix thoroughly to blend.
- Add flax meal & mix thoroughly, then add the sauteed vegetable mixture, mixing by hand until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan & bake in the oven 30 to 40 minutes or until the top is lightly browned & the loaf is firm to the touch. Remove the pan from the oven & run a dull knife along the sides of the pan, then invert it onto a serving plate to release the loaf. Let sit about 5 minutes before slicing & serving.