Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Can't remember where I got this recipe. The secret is the brown sugar. Enjoy.
Make and share this Favorite Hush Puppies recipe from Food.com.
- Combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt.
- Combine egg, buttermilk, onion and water. C.
- ombine mixtures and stir until just moistened.
- In a skillet or "Fry Daddy" pour in oil until a depth of 3 inches or to markings on "Fry Daddy". Heat oil to 375‘F.
- Drop batter by tablespoons into hot oil. Fry until golden brown.
- Quantity varies according to size.
I cut it in half, but had to add more flour. I didn't use the onion and put in more sugar to make these like I love from our favorite fish restaurant. Thank you!
I'm trying to find a hushpuppy recipe like the sweet ones they serve in the Outer Banks. This one was good but not quite what I was looking for. A little too dry and definitely not sweet enough but good. I did not include the onion. I served them with Long John Silver's Fish Batter and Sweet, Creamy Coleslaw.
I should preface this by saying that I'm from South Dakota so the only hushpuppies that I've ever had are from Long John Silvers. I halved the recipe and ended up with not enough flour in it to make it stick together for frying. So I added flour until it was what I thought was the right consistancy (about 1/3 cup total). I would have prefered it sweeter so next time I won't have the sugars. They did cook up very nice and fluffy and the outside was perfectly done. Overall, a pretty good recipe.