Recipe by luvcook'n
Who doesn't like a good risotto? This provides a complete protein. This is from The Natural Menopause Cookbook.
Top Review by Allisonsdinner
My mom's words: "I would definitely make it again." Made it as directed but substituted vegetable broth for chicken and didn't heat it ahead of time. Also used fresh fava beans. Easy and delicious.
- 1 2⁄3 cups frozen fava beans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 slices smoked Canadian bacon, rind removed, roughly chopped
- 2⁄3 cup arborio rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups hot chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- parmesan cheese, shavings to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the fava beans in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and plunge into ice-cold water to cool. Peel away and discard the outer shells and set the beans aside.
- Heat the butter in a heavy saucepan. Add the onion and bacon and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Add the rice and beans and continue to cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Add enough hot stock to cover the rice and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until most of the stock has been absorbed. Continue adding the stock in this way until it is almost completely absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the grated Parmesan, and season to taste. Serve immediately, garnished with Parmesan shavings.