Prep 1 hr 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
Fast, delicious yeast bread. You can bake late in the day and have fresh, warm bread with dinner! From The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas.
- Scald the milk and dissolve in it the sugar, salt and butter; cool to lukewarm. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Add the cooled milk, flour, onion and herbs.
- Stir well with a large wooden spoon.
- When the batter is smooth, cover the bowl with a towel and let the dough rise in a warm place until triple in bulk- about 45 minutes. Stir down, and beat vigorously for a few minutes, then turn into a greased bread pan.
- Let it stand for 10 minutes before putting into a preheated 350 deg. oven. Bake about one hour.
- The dough will be sticky- resist the urge to add too much flour. My bread was done in 50 minutes. Of course you can vary the herbs. Delicious!
Wonderfully quick and easy to make - no need to knead! I used fresh yeast and half whole-wheat flour and half bread flour. Love the subtle onion & herb taste; this goes really well with smoked cheese! Thank you for sharing!