Eggplant Pasta Sauce
photo by Sharon123
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (original has 1/2 cup!)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium eggplant, unpeeled and chopped (about 1 lb.)
- 2 medium green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup black olives, sliced
- 4 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, lots to taste
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 2 cups dry white wine or 2 cups vegetable broth, more if needed
- Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in a large skillet. Add garlic.
- Add eggplant and bell peppers and toss.
- Stir in tomatoes, olives and capers.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir and cover.
- Turn heat down to very low and allow sauce to gently simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally to keep it from scorching, add more wine or water if it gets to thick.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Is 12 ounces of tomato PASTE perhaps a mistake ??? 12 ounces = 340 grams. The whole tin only contains about 2.5 oz. (about 70 grams) !! Perhaps it's.meant to be tomato PURÉE which is not so consentrated so 12 ounces will be acceptable Perhaps it's 1.2 ounces (i.e. about half the tin) tomato paste ??? !!! Look forward to reporting back after supper tonight !
This sauce was absolutely divine! I halfed the recipe, and served this on whole grain penne. Just so you have an idea...my picky, way picky 4 year old, tried this an ate it for dinner! Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and you are in heaven! I liked how you can control the thickness of the sauce by adding the broth. Oh, this will be repeated in the future, thanxs so much for posting!
So yummy! I added onions, mushrooms and zucchini and left out the olives. If you have frozen basil cubes, use them instead of dried. I also used chicken broth and some red wine, and topped it off with fresh parsley when I served it. It was so hardy, no one missed the meat. When I brought leftovers to work, everyone envied my lunch!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm not as active here anymore, but you can find me playing at the new recipezazz.com. I'm not a great photographer, but I love to take food photos with Freddy Cat to bring a smile to people's day. I love to cook and share good food with other people. I have a very large collection of cookbooks. I used to enjoy being able to look up recipes on Zaar by ingredients I had on hand. I miss the Zaar tag game community. Everyone was so nice, and it was super fun. Ah, the good ol' days.