Recipe by Manami
This is a nice light pasta - the sauce isn't heavy (or, really, very saucy at all) and the ricotta makes it just a touch creamy. It's also quite healthy. This is one of those recipes that can be made quickly with what you have in the kitchen! Instead of overdoing the pasta - we used whole wheat pasta & bulked it up with veggies and lean chicken breast. The finished dish is very eye appealing and tastes marvelous! ellysaysopa.com. :)
- 1⁄2 lb whole wheat farfalle pasta or 1⁄2 lb other pastas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 1⁄2 onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb cremini mushrooms or 1⁄2 lb button mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup dry vermouth or 1⁄4 cup white wine or 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes (partially drained but some liquid reserved)
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes
- 1 (3 ounce) package Baby Spinach or 1 (3 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed & drained
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add salt, and then add the farfalle.
- Cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat a large, heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat and add the oil.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and, once the oil is hot, add the chicken to the pan; brown on all sides, and then add the onions and cook for a minute or two.
- Stir in the mushrooms, garlic, and some salt and pepper.
- Sauté until all vegetables are tender.
- Increase the heat to medium high and add the vermouth.
- Cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated, and then stir in the diced tomatoes (and a few tablespoons of juice), red pepper flakes, parsley, oregano, basil, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to medium-low, simmering until the flavors have developed (and chicken has cooked through).
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted down, about 2-3 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and stir to coat.
- Off the heat, stir in the ricotta cheese.