Layered Spinach and Ricotta Cheese bake-SBD style
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is a phase 1 breakfast recipe created Iron Chef style in response to a challenge.
- Ready In:
- 3 ounces fresh spinach
- 4 slices thin Canadian bacon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (well drained)
- salt and pepper
- extra cheese (to garnish) (optional)
- Saute the DICED Canadian bacon in a non-stick pan with two cloves of minced garlic and one diced red onion (about 1/2) cup.
- Add the fresh spinach and cook until the spinach wilts.
- Drain well.
- In a Pam sprayed glass pie plate, arrange the spinach mixture in one layer.
- Blend one cup of ricotta cheese with 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, and two tablespoons water.
- Stir in 1 Tbsp each of basil and dill.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread this over the spinach layer.
- Drain the chopped tomatoes and spread over the cheese layer.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of shredded cheese.
- Bake until the cheese melts and begins to brown, about 30 minutes at 350 F.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I tried to eat this for breakfast, but just couldn't stomach it, too much spice for me. My mom took this to work for lunch and she raved about how great it was. I never tried it later in the day, but I'm sure it would have tasted as good as she said. If I make it again, it will be for lunch or dinner.Reply
This is excellent. I have made it twice - the first time as written in the recipe and the second time with a 28oz can of tomatoes and 6 pieces of back bacon as I didn't have a pie plate and used a quiche plate which was a little bigger. I too really dislike cooked spinach but found this delicious - no problem with texture or taste. Great for breakfast, brunch, or lunch.Reply
see 12 more