Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This soup recipe came from a Junior League of Cincinnati cookbook and it is excellent. It can easily be made vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth for the beef broth. It's wonderful served with crusty bread or rolls.
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 3⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, coarsely chopped and with juice
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried lentils
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated,optional
- In large saucepan, saute onions, carrots, marjoram and thyme in the oil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes, broth, water and lentils.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in salt, black pepper, wine, and parsley.
- Simmer for a few additional minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
This was a good soup.....not outstanding, but easy to put together. I made it exactly as called for, but didn't use the cheese. Note: Lentils never did get tender.....cooked soup for way longer than the 1 hour. I had just bought them, so they couldn't (I hope) have been stale. I would make this soup again.