To save some time the crust may be prepared and baked 24 hours in advance. It is important to leave the finished pie chill for a minimum of 8 hours or overnight, if you make the mistake of cutting into it any earlier the custard mixture might fall apart --- this pie is delicious!
- 2 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup mashed banana
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups full-fat milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise (optional but good to add in)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon banana extract (optional)
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled and cut into about 1/4-inch slices (could use 5 small bananas)
- To make the crust: set oven to 350°F.
- For the crust; in a bowl stir together the cracker crumbs, sugar and mashed banana.
- Add in the melted butter and stir to moisten.
- Press into bottom and up sides of a deep-dish 10-inch glass pie dish.
- Refrigerate for about 40 minutes until firm.
- Remove from the fridge and bake for about 15 minutes; cool completely.
- For the filling: In a heavy-bottomed saucepan whisk together cornstarch, sugar and salt to blend.
- Whisk in the whipping cream and whole full-fat milk, then egg yolks.
- Scrape the vanilla bean seeds and then add them in with the whole bean (if using).
- Bring to medium-high heat and whisk until the custard thickens and simmers (about 6 minutes).
- Remove from heat. Whisk in butter, vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon banana extract (if using).
- Transfer the cooked thickened custard to a bowl; cool completely for about 1 hour, stirring or whisking occasionally.
- When ready to fill the pie crust, spread 1 cup of the custard over the bottom of prepared crust.
- Top with half of the bananas (about 2-1/2 bananas).
- Then top with the remaining custard covering the bananas totally.
- Repeat layering with remaining bananas and then remaining custard on the top.
- Chill for a minimum of 8 hours (overnight is even better), or until the filling is completely set.
- Cut pie into wedges and top with a dollop of whipped cream if desired.