Fresh Strawberry Pie With Almond Graham Crust
photo by chia2160
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 7 tablespoons melted butter
- 24 ounces fresh strawberries (about 6 cups, hulled and quartered)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- red food coloring (optional)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Set oven to 350°F (position oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Butter a 9-inch glass pie plate.
- In a food processor coarsely chop the almonds, then add in the graham cracker crumbs and sugar; process until finely ground.
- Add in the melted butter and process until evenly moistened.
- Press the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate.
- Bake until set (about 10-12 minutes) cool completely before filling.
- To make the filling: place 2 cups strawberries in a medium saucepan and mash with a potato masher until chunky.
- Add in the sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and food colouring if using; stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture boils and thickens (about 3-4 minutes). transfer to a bowl; cool to room temperature.
- When the mixture is cooled add in the remaining 4 cups strawberries; mix to combine.
- Mound the filling into prepared crust.
- Chill until set (about 3 hours).
- Beat the 2 cups whipping cream with sugar (any amount to taste) until soft peaks form.
- Spoon or pipe the whipped cream decoratively around the edges of the pie.
- Serve and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Delicious, and super rich. My pie didn't look very pretty, not that it mattered. I'm not sure if I over baked the crust. I baked it 12 mins. and it didn't look set to me so I baked it 4 or 5 mins. longer. It tasted good, but was tough to slice. The filling set up nice and was full of flavor. Thanks for posting the recipe.
CRUST IS AMAZING!!!! I made the whole recipe and all together it tastes wonderful! the presentation isn't the prettiest but the taste will blow you away! Thank you everyone raved how great the crust is. I am looking for a different strawberry filling. I want one that is like the old restaurant chain Tippins which used whole strawberries and w/ a thin glaze, not sure how to find that recipe or one similar but that is my goal. Thank you Kittencal you always have wonderful recipes! I have already made twice this year and will make a 3rd time today but I am going to try a different filling this attempt.
I think the crust was tasty. I loved the almond flavor added to the graham crust. I did have a bit of runny juice with the pie. It sat for 6 hours and still wasnt' set completely. Good thing I served it to good friends as it was a mess coming out of the pan. But they loved the taste anyway. I added a bit of almond flavoring to my whip cream and that was great.
see 5 more reviews