Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is an impressive, seriously delicious cake! I always make it a day ahead.
Make and share this Fantastic 3-Layer Carrot Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 2⁄3 cups finely shredded carrots
- 3⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 1 1⁄4 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour three 8" or 9" round cake pans.
- Mix flour, baking soda and powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Make a well in the center. Add sugar, oil, applesauce, egg, and vanilla. Mix until just smooth; do not overmix.
- Use a food processor or blender to puree pineapple. Stir pineapple, walnuts, and coconut into batter. Pour into pans.
- Bake 35-40 minutes. Use a toothpick to make sure the centers are cooked through.
- Cool on baking racks. The centers may sink a little.
- Once thoroughly cooled, level the cakes. You may want to freeze them for a few minutes to make icing them easier.
- Mix butter and cream cheese until smooth, and add the powdered sugar. Start with 3 1/2 c and add more if necessary.
- Place the cake layers cut side down to frost. If you have problems with the cake crumbling, put it back in the freezer until it's harder.
This cake was amazing and very easy to follow. The only thing that I would change about it is the recipe never tells you to actually add the carrots! I was told that my cake was better then McAlister's Deli carrot cake!!!! Kudos for submitting it.