Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These take a while to make, but are worth it. I got these from the newspaper years ago. Faidley's is in Lexington Market on Eutaw St. in Baltimore, MD.
- 1 lb large lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1 cup crushed saltine
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- vegetable oil (for frying) (optional)
- clarified butter (optional) or olive oil, for sauteing (optional)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice
- Crab cakes: Spread the crab meat out in a flat pan and sprinkle the crushed saltines over the top.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, egg, mustard, Worcestershire and tobasco.
- Pour the mayonnaise over the crab meat and gently toss or fold the ingredients together, taking care not to break up the lumps of crab meat.
- Let the mixture sit for 2-3 minute.
- before forming the cakes.
- Form the cakes by hand or with an ice cream scoop into 8 mounds about 3" in diameter and 3/4" thick.
- Do NOT pack the mixture too firmly.
- The cakes should be as loose as possible, yet still hold their shape.
- Place the cakes on a tray or platter lined with wax paper, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cooking.
- Tartar sauce: In a bowl, mix mayonnaise, dill pickles, onion, parsley and dill pickle juice.
- Chill for at least 1 hour.
- To fry: Pour oil into a heavy skillet to a depth of about 1 ½".
- Heat oil and fry crab cakes, a few at a time, until golden brown, about 4 minute.
- on each side.
- Remove with a slotted utensil to a paper towel to drain.
- To broil: Slip them under a preheated broiler until nicely browned, turning to cook evenly, about 4-5 minute.
- on each side To sauté: Heat a small amount of clarified butter or olive oil, or a combination, in a skillet and sauté the cakes, turning several times, until golden brown, about 8 minute.
- total cooking time.
- Serve at once with tartar sauce on the side.
- Makes 4 servings.