Prep 24 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
This jerky is better than anything you can find at the store.
Make and share this Excellent Beef Jerky recipe from Food.com.
- Pat flank steak dry and slice into this strips across the grain of the meat.
- Mix all ingredients and meat slices in a plastic bag making sure each piece is getting marinaded.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Drain meat on paper towels blotting well.
- Place meat directly on oven rack and cook at 140º for three hours.
- It helps to put a piece of foil on the oven floor to catch the drippings.
- Keep in a jar and refrigerate overnight.
This is an Alton Brown Recipe and it will ruin you from ever buying store bought jerky. Pre- packaged strips often taste (as some one else already stated) sickeningly sweet. To me, it tastes artificial. I made this recipe today using random cuts of beef I found on sale. I cut them all thin and only marinated the meat for 10-15 minutes. I did not pat the meat dry. I put it on the racks dripping. It made a mess but was so tender, I didn't mind the extra work. Also, I am not a fan if liquid smoke but I'm crazy about Hickory smoked powder. That makes a huge difference, in my opinion. My 3 teenaged sons and husband couldn't stop eating this treat!
I stopped buying packaged jerky years ago as it's always grossly sweet. This wonderful jerky lives up to its name. I followed other reviewer's advise and partially froze the meat before slicing and adding the strips to the marinade. It accidentally marinated for 48 hours and was still perfect. As well, I hung the pieces with toothpicks from the rack and they oven-dried beautifully in the time indicated. Thanks for this super recipe.
The best recipe for jerky yet!