Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I've been making this shortbread for years. It's easy and quick to make, with only three ingredients. when I serve it at gatherings, someone always requests the recipe!
- 1 cup butter, plus (no substitutes)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix the butter and sugar together until light and creamy.
- Gradually work in the flour (Mixture will be crumbly).
- Press mixture into a greased 9" x 13" pan.
- Prick all over with a fork (Dip fork in some flour before pricking shortbread).
- Sprinkle with a teaspoon of sugar (Optional).
- Put into oven for about 20 minutes, or until pale golden.
- When cool, cut into bars.
It is the real thing - EXCELLENT RECIPE. (I did use some vanilla though)
I put parchment paper on a sheet pan and once I had the dough pressed out pretty well, covered the dough in plastic wrap and went over it with a rolling pin to make the top of the shortbread very smooth (the dough will stick if you don't use plastic wrap). If you score the shortbread at this time, you can cut it when warm and it makes for perfect edges and perfect placement of your tine marks. Makes very pretty cookies! (ok - I'm anal, lol)
I think chopped walnuts or pecans pressed into the top before baking would be delicious.
Great recipe. Husband says it "Tastes just like Mum's!" Thank you!
Easy to make and smells delicious ?. Waiting for it to cool so I can dive in with a nice cup of tea. Thank you for the wonderful recipe :-)