Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins are really packed with lots of good stuff.I am not sure where I got this recipe (probably either the newspaper or my mother). They are very versitle can add or substitute alot of ingredients.
- 2 cups shredded unpeeled apples
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 cup chopped cranberries or 1 cup any dried fruit or 1 cup raisins or 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl combine apples and sugar.
- Gently fold in cranberries, carrots and nuts.
- Combine dry ingredients and add to bowl.
- Mix well to moisten dry ingredients.
- Combine eggs and oil and stir into apple mixture.
- Fill 18 greased muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake at 375 for 20- 25 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from tins.
These are me all-time favorite muffins. I change things around a little... use less sugar, whole-wheat flour and add powdered flax seed and sometimes sunflower seeds. They are amazing!
Excellent muffins! I overfilled them slightly & only made 12 but they came out moist & soft with just a tiny bit of crunch across the top which was delightful. I used granny smith apples, orange flavored cranberries (which I forgot to chop) & left out the pecans because I'm all out of them. Even my picky toddler gobbled one down. We'll be making these muffins again. Thanks for sharing, StephB! Made, enjoyed & reviewed for US Regional Alphabet Tag - March 2008.
Yum. And they came out perfectly. I used chopped dried apricots for the dried fruit and pecans for the nuts, but I can see how lots of combinations would be good. Oh, and I used Splenda instead of sugar and Eggbeaters instead of eggs. No problems at all. Family gobbled these down. I'll make them again. THANKS!