Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This has been handed down from meine Mutti. She found it in a German magazine back in the 50's. This is the only recipe I use for making cauliflower. My kids wouldn't eat cauliflower any other way. We make it at least once a month.
- 1 large head cauliflower, steamed to 3/4 doneness (Microwave on high with 1/4 cup water for 20 minutes)
- 1⁄4 lb butter (1 stick)
- 2 lbs mixed ground meat (I use 1 lb ground chicken and 1 lb. ground beef)
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs or 1⁄2 cup use 2 slices bread moistened with milk
- 1 egg
- 1 medium minced onion
- 1⁄2 minced green pepper
- salt and white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 dash ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard (French's)
- 2 fresh pressed garlic cloves (or use garlic salt)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 small minced onion
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- In dutch oven, put 1 stick butter in center.
- Place steamed cauliflower on top of butter.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine meat with bread, 1 egg, onion, green pepper, spices and ketchup.
- Form meat as a ring around the sides of the cauliflower.
- Top with sauce.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese [top with fresh tomatoes (optional) cut in wedges].
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 1 hour -- covered -- or until done.
- Serve with boiled or mashed potatoes, wide egg noodles, or french-garlic bread.
Wow! This is my new favorite way to have cauliflower. We loved the sauce and the meat loaf and the cauliflower couldn't be better! Thanks!!