Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
Yummy eggs in a buttery tomato sauce. Serve over nice crusty bread.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- coarse salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 14 1⁄2 ounces plum tomatoes
- black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 large eggs
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook until the onions become translucent, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Crush the tomatoes and add them and their juices to the pan. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of crushed red pepper. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cook until thickened, 15 - 20 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium and crack the eggs into the tomato sauce. Cover the pan and cook eggs for 3 minutes, or until done to your liking.
Congrats on your Week 13 Football Pool win!!! I made these yesterday morning for a friend and w both really enjoyed them. He asked for the recipe so he could make them again and that is highly unusual for him!
Super easy to make, tasted great and was a nice Sunday brunch on a cool day! We used Rotel tomatoes for a bit of a kick and the only thing we did wrong was overcook the eggs (DH likes the yolks runny) but that was our fault. Served with some buttery toast and homemade apple butter! This will definitely be made again!! Great recipe!! made for Your Football Pool win for Week 13!
This was really nice--we love it with a more Mexican flair, so added 1 t cumin, 2 cloves garlic, and a chopped jalapeno. Good stuff. made for 09 football pool, week #9.