Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
Friends of ours used to grow eggplants and loved any recipe that used eggplant. I like this recipe because I love eggplant. Perfect meal in one dish.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 eggplant, peeled and diced
- 3 beef bouillon cubes, dissolved in
- 4 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) canchopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked macaroni
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- Brown beef and onion.
- Add rest of ingredients EXCEPT macaroni and parsley flakes.
- Simmer 30 minutes covered.
- Add last 2 ingredients and simmer for 15 more minutes.
Fabulous recipe, Caryn. I just harvested the first eggplant from our garden and used it in the soup. It was very delicious and well seasoned. I liked the tomato-beef soup base. My husband and I are taking the left-overs to work for lunch. Yeah!! Thanks so much.
If I could give this 10 stars I would! This is what Rachel Ray would call STOUP! You could even go without the macaroni and it would be thick! The flavors are phenomonal! The textures are comforting. I am going to make this again this weekend, I just adore it! I used ground beef, splenda for the sugar and Dreamfields pasta to try to keep the carbs down. This kind of recipe makes lower carb eating worthwhile!