Eggplant (Aubergine) and Tomato Bake
- Slice eggplants into 1/2" slices; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons.
- salt. Roll slices, moistened, in flour.
- Fry slices in heated oil, in skillet until brown on each side. Drain.
- Add onions, tomatoes, remaining salt, tomato paste, basil, oregano, sugar and pepper to oil remaining in skillet and cook 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly, bend mixture or push through strainer.
- Place half the mixture in greased baking dish.
- Add a layer of eggplant slices and a layer of cheese slices.
- Top with remaining tomato mixture and sprinkle top with cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.