Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 2 -3 eggplants
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- Slice eggplants into 1/2" slices; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons.
- salt. Roll slices, moistened, in flour.
- Fry slices in heated oil, in skillet until brown on each side. Drain.
- Add onions, tomatoes, remaining salt, tomato paste, basil, oregano, sugar and pepper to oil remaining in skillet and cook 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly, bend mixture or push through strainer.
- Place half the mixture in greased baking dish.
- Add a layer of eggplant slices and a layer of cheese slices.
- Top with remaining tomato mixture and sprinkle top with cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.