Recipe by WorkingMom2three
Yummy - I serve it with pita bread. You could use it as a sandwich filling.
- 3 cups eggplants, cubed and peeled (1 small)
- 1⁄3 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup mushroom, fresh, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup stuffed green olive, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put first six ingredients in a skillet and cook 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add all other ingredients. Simmer about 30 minutes until eggplant is tender.
- Chill overnight to blend flavors. Serve cold. May be frozen.
- I have never included the stuffed green olives.
- I increase the peppers and mushrooms (1 cup or a bit more).
- I have another very similar recipe which adds 3 tablespoons pine nuts with "all other ingredients". I have never tried this but I think it sounds good.
- I prefer it room temperature.