Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was taken from a December 2003 Country Magazine. This is one of the best cakes I have ever eaten. I love eggnog and you can really taste it in this cake.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups eggnog
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add extracts; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with eggnog. Pour into two 9 inch round baking pans coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For frosting, combine flour and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in eggnog until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggnog mixture and vanilla; beat on high until fluffy. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Serves 12.