Recipe by BarbaraK
Egg in the Basket
Top Review by Sharinskishe
This is a quick and easy breakfast. My mom used to bake this for her 6 kids. Sometimes we would have grape jelly on them. Other times they were drizzled with creamy white sauce, with grated cheese or not. We ate them with syrup or powdered sugar. About 3 minutes before she'd take them out, she'd sprinkle with grated cheese. These are so versatile. I make these for my kids in an upside down bagel. I butter the cut side of the bagel and put it buttered side down on the pan. After they ared baked, we then put a Tblspn of veggie cream cheese on the bagel. Oh, we serve them cut side up. They become upside down egg bagels. Thanks.
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut a circle in the middle of a piece of bread.
- If you don't have a round cookie cutter, the top of a glass will work.
- Heat a skillet or griddle sprayed with Pam or Mazola.
- Place the bread in the pan.
- Put about 1/2 t butter in the hole in the bread.
- Heat the butter until very hot.
- Crack an egg in the hole.
- Use a spatula to move the white around so it gets done.
- When the egg is fairly well set, turn the bread and egg over to cook the other side, being careful not to break the yolk.
- In the meantime, toast the holes from the bread for dipping in the yolk.
- Oh, and salt and pepper as desired.
- I guess you could toast the bread before you put it in the pan, but I've never tried it that way.