Recipe by Perfect Pixie
This cake was made for a freind of mine with an egg allergy from a cake store in england, I got it of them because when i went to her birthday we had it and I didn't taste the difference at all, there are variations, see note:
Top Review by emilyot
I have only made this as a coconut cake, but it has always gotten rave reviews. I have topped it with chocolate and coconut icing. It is dense, but works fine for a single layer.
- 2 1⁄4 cups plain flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups caster sugar
- 175 g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
Cream cheese frosting
- 500 g cream cheese, softened, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: for a differnt cake try this:.
- Vanilla variation Omit the cocoa and increase plain flour to 2 1/2 cups.
- Coconut variation Omit the cocoa. Use 1 1/2 cups plain flour (instead of 2¼ cups) and add 1 cup desiccated coconut with the caster sugar.
- to start:.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease and line the base of 2 x 20cm round cake pans with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- add the caster sugar and stir to combine.
- Add the melted butter, milk, vanilla and vinegar and whisk until all ingredients are well combined and smooth.
- Divide the batter between the prepared tins and place in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely.
- When ready to serve, spread the top of one cake with some of the frosting, place second cake on top and spread remaining frosting over top and sides.
- Cream cheese frosting:.
- Place cream cheese, butter and vanilla into a large mixing bowl.
- Using electric hand beaters, beat until smooth.
- Gradually add icing sugar and beat until well combined.