Recipe by Engrossed
Created for RSC#12. Mmm, complex flavors, healthy, tasty, good. While I made this Vegetarian, you can make this with pork or chicken if you want. Mix and match any veggies you have on hand and clean out the pantry while you're at it. I think beans, corn and olives would go nicely in this as well. I chopped my veggies large and chunky. This would probably work great in a crock pot also.
Top Review by Debbwl
Very surprising. This lighter then most moleâ€™s and leans itâ€™s self very well to the vegetarian diet. Like a lot of stews and soups this is better the next day after all the flavors had mellowed and blended. I used carrots in place of potatoes. Cut the recipe in half, which made 6 serving for us. Very unique and very yummy. Thanks for the post.
- 1 cup frozen dark sweet cherries
- 1 white onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup vegetarian broth
- 1⁄4 cup natural-style peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar-free chocolate syrup
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder, of choice
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 -2 tablespoon Splenda sugar substitute, to taste
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Tabasco sauce, a few dashes
- 1 cup vegetarian broth
Veggies (Adjust to what you have on hand)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 bell peppers, chopped (I used red, green, and yellow.)
- 2 lbs potatoes, chopped (I used small purple potatoes)
- 3 zucchini, chopped
- 3 yellow squash, chopped
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- cooked rice, to serve
- chopped tomato, to top
- cilantro, to top (optional)
- crumbled feta cheese, to top (brings out even more flavor)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a blender, puree sauce ingredients (except last cup of broth).
- Add last cup of broth and blend until combined.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat, add onion and bell peppers, saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in Mole sauce and potatoes, bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini, yellow squash and vinegar. Simmer until they are crisp tender, about 10 minutes. Adjust salt and Splenda to taste.
- Serve over cooked rice and top with chopped tomatoes, cilantro, and feta cheese.