Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This sounds too easy to be true but the result is a truly beautiful dessert with an excellent flavour. I found it in Mastercook while searching for something to serve for a bunch of children but the adults loved it too. The originator is a Francis Bolton. Bless her, whoever she is! Be sure and bake it enough. If the top is dark it doesn't matter, no-one sees it.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 egg whites (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb, amount approximate
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 8 ounces miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line the bottom of an ungreased 9x13- inch baking pan with enough chopped rhubarb to cover bottom.
- Sprinkle sugar evenly over rhubarb.
- Then sprinkle Jello powder and marshmallows.
- Prepare a standard white cake mix according to package directions.
- Pour the mix over ingredients in pan.
- Bake about 45 minutes.
- Let stand a few minutes and invert pan on serving sheet.
Excellent recipe and very adaptable to other fruits. As a lover of rhubarb, I was drawn to this recipe as it wa similar to my own recipe but the jello and marshmellows were a new feature. I also tried it with sliced strawberries and it also was superb. Since rhubarb can be hard to obtain, this recipes adaptability to other fruits makes it a real plus in my book. It does require a longer baking time than normal, about 70 minutes but I am at a very high altitude so watch carefully but plan on at least 45 minutes and keep checking.
I never take the time to review recipies that I try. I am making an exception. This is the best rhubarb recipie I have ever tried. It just cooled off and I cut a piece and it is amazing. Thank you for sharing this. Now I am going to be trying to find more rhubarb to freeze!
I only gave this four starts instead of five because it didn't turn out quite as "pretty" as I had hoped. As far as taste goes...definitely FIVE stars! I really liked the effect of the marshmallows!