Recipe by Lene
Now, for all of you who have problems with cooking pilau rice, this recipe is really very easy and goes exceptionally well with a good curry, like my madras coconut, chicken and banana curry. Have a go, you won't be dissapointed.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 onions, thinely sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 cardamom pods, cracked
- 3 star anise
- 500 g basmati rice, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 50 g fresh coriander leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook half the onions over a fairly high heat for about 10 minutes until crisp and lightly brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper and set aside, leaving just a coating of oil still in the pan.
- Add the remaining onions to the pan with the cinnamon, cumin, cardamon and star anise and cook gently for 5 minutes orso until the onions are golden.
- Add the rice, cook for 1 minute and then add 1 Ltr of water and the salt.
- Bring to the boil, cover and cook over a low heat for 12 minutes until the grains are tender and water has been absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and leave to stand, covered, for 5 minutes, then transfer to a serving dish and scatter over the fried onions and corriander leaves; serve warm.