Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Freshly grated parmesan is the secret ingredient! Quick, easy and only one dish to clean. Perfect for the junior chef! High-altitude tested.
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breast halves (frozen OK)
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked white rice, , regular or converted
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 chicken bouillon cubes or 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 heads broccoli, washed,florets removed in 2" pieces (stems discarded)
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh, shredded, grated parmesan cheese (salt)
- salt and pepper
- Combine hot water, chicken bouillon and onion powder.
- Place rice in 13x9x2 pan and add hot water mixture.
- Add carrots in even layer on top of rice.
- Place broccoli florets evenly atop carrot layer.
- Place chicken breasts on top.
- Frozen breast pieces need not be thawed.
- Salt and pepper chicken pieces, if desired.
- Thoroughly mix soup and milk.
- Pour over chicken breasts.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 400F for 45-60 minutes or until chicken breasts are fully cooked.
- Remove foil, add fresh parmesan cheese during last 15 minutes of cooking time and continue baking UNcovered.
- NOTE: If you must substitute canned, grated parmesan cheese, do not add until the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Serves 4.
Bland, boring and the only saving grace was that the dogs loved it. I just need to remind myself that baked dishes with chicken and rice are going to get thumbs down by the family.
This was wonderful! I cheated and used a frozen bag of "california blend" vegetables, the ones with broccoli, cauliflour, and carrots. I thawed out the frozen vegetables and poured the entire bag over the rice. Instead of using water and chicken bouillion, I used a cup of chicken broth. It turned out great. Will make again and again. Thanks!
Quick and tasty! Great for working people who need to prepare ahead. Not having to thaw the chicken is a big plus. Thanks for sharing!