Recipe by KVasanth
I literally threw this together at the last minute when my husband was coming home early from work one night. We really enjoyed it, and I hope you do as well. This could easily work with beef, it's just that I had ground lamb on hand that evening, and we both liked the flavor.
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground lamb
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning (mine has fennel, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, and rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (we like oregano, so I add extra)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (roughly)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- lasagna noodle
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Meat sauce:.
- Saute onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add lamb and seasonings, incorporating into onion mix; brown.
- Drain off any additional fat the lamb throws.
- Add jar of sauce, balsamic, sugar and cayenne pepper.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cheese sauce:.
- Put basil leaves, garlic, olive oil and salt in a Cuisinart; pulse until pesto consistency.
- Stir pesto into cottage cheese, season with any additional salt and pepper to taste.
- It's really up to you, I usually do meat- mozzarella -noodles -cottage cheese- noodles- meat- mozzarella- parmesan.
- Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes, then uncover and bake until golden and bubbly.