1/1 Photo of Easy, Easy English Toffee
2 hrs 38 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
A friend at work passed this on to me. It is so easy that she proceeded to just "tell" me the recipe. I am one of those people that like to have it written down...she was kind enough to email it to me. As she was telling me how to make it, she said that you needed a jar of peanut butter. At first, I didn't understand why but after making it the first time, I found it is the most important part of making this toffee a success every time!!! ***IMPORATANT*** You turn the jar upside down and use the color of the peanut butter as a GUIDE as to what color the mixture should be when you pull it off the heat. The mixture will darken a bit after you take it off the heat so this little trick will help you NOT to burn the toffee. For preparation time, I put approx. 8 minutes active cooking time and 2.5 hours for cooling refrigeration time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large skillet, melt butter on med. high heat.
- 2**Tip** Bring out a jar of peanut butter and turn it upside down near the skillet to use ONLY as a color guide to know when the mixture is done.
- 3Add sugar and stir until dissolved into the butter.
- 4Add water, pouring it all over the pan.
- 5Bring to a full, frothy boil.
- 6At full boil, cook 1 minute then add slivered almonds.
- 7Stir continuously and slowly in a small circular motion bringing the outside mixture edges to the center as the sides will tend to cook faster than the middle.
- 8As you stir, angle the handle of your spoon down as low as you can to have few air bubbles.
- 9Cook this mixture until it is the color of the inverted peanut butter jar.
- 10**Important** It will brown fast in the end, so don't let it get too dark).
- 11Pour into a 9 X 13 pan. (you could use disposable aluminum pans also).
- 12Let cool completely, remove from pan and pat off any extra butter from both sides with paper towels.
- 13Place on wax paper.
- 15Microwave chocolate for 1 minute on high. (be mindful that every microwave is different and you must watch your chocolate closely so that it won't overcook). If a few seconds more are needed to melt completely, do so in small increments.
- 16Coat toffee with chocolate (like frosting) and top with slivered almonds. I only cover one side but you can do both if desired.
- 17Lightly press down almonds to make sure they stick to the chocolate.
- 18Cool on the counter for at least 30 minutes, then put the pan into the refrigerator for 2 hours (You can stack multiple batches on top of each other as long as the chocolate is pretty solid).
- 19Break into pieces after it has hardened and store in a covered container.
- 20Variations: Use different kinds of chips. (mint, white, dark, milk chocolate).
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy, Easy English Toffee
Serving Size: 1 (34 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 181.4
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 68.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 1.8 g