Almond Roca (English Toffee)
photo by Sharlene~W
- Ready In:
- Spread almonds evenly on a buttered 12 x 17-inch jelly roll pan. (I used a Silpat sheet and only buttered sides and that worked great).
- Mix sugar, butter and water in a large saucepan. Cook over high heat until tan (295°F at sea level). It needs to be past the point where the mixture begins to turn tan. It will be a foamy, thick, medium tan. Be sure to stir constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Pour over sliced almonds and spread as much as possible.
- Sprinkle chocolate pieces over immediately. Let melt a minute or two and then spread evenly with knife.
- When completely cool and chocolate is solid, break into pieces.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I must say that this recipe was irresistible to make when I saw it the first time, but it was also very scary because I normally don't work with sugar. Concurring my fear was well worth it though, and I must say this was the best almond roca I have ever had. I do think that next time, however, I will leave out the chocolate because I am more of a purist and like toffee more without it. Thank you!
Quick and easy; just be careful of splatters when heating the butter, sugar and water. I used two smaller pans and made one batch with dark chocolate and the other with milk chocolate. Both are delicious. Next time I will add the almonds to the toffee before putting it in the pan. I think this will help prevent stray almonds being left behind in the pan.
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in the San Francisco area and love it here. I discovered Recipezaar (then Food.com..Genius Kitchen) in 2001 and have been so happy to have my favorite recipes stored safely here. I am mother to 7 and grandmother to 7. I love to knit, smock, sew, etc., but my favorite hobby of the moment is traditional rug hooking. This is a sample of what I do.? It's called "November".? I dyed most of the wool myself. It is made from wool flannel, cut into strips a little less than 1/4" and then worked into a linen backing. This is my 3rd rug.