Prep 2 mins
Cook 17 mins
This is a very easy way to make cranberry sauce. Try to use orange juice if possible, it really brings out "life" to the cranberry sauce. This is a fantastic recipe for cranberry sauce, I make it all the time for holidays, you can prepare this well in advance even days ahead, cover and refrigerate. If you are doubling the recipe then make in two separate microwave-safe bowls, don't double the recipe into one bowl or it will overflow in the microwave.
- 12 ounces cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar (a little more sugar, if you prefer it sweeter)
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- Combine all ingredients in a 3-qt microsafe bowl; mix well.
- Cover with wax paper.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Stir well; recover with wax paper.
- Microwave another 5-7 mins longer until cranberries pop, and sauce has thickened.
- Let stand, covered until cool.
- Transfer to serving bowl and chill for 3-4 hours.
This recipe couldn't be easier. I'd didn't have any orange juice or zest, but of course I had rum. Just a swish, and it came out perfect.
I make this every year. So much better than than canned jellied stuff and very easy. I substitute Splenda for some of the sugar to cut the calories a bit. I make it the day before Thanksgiving. One less thing to do on the day!! Don't double the recipe. Make two batches.
I loved this recipie, but remeber to follow the microwaveinstructions carefully. I used too small a bowl and we had a cranberry "waterfall" coming out of the microwave. We still had enough left in the bowl for everyone to enjoy.