Recipe by Frenzied Feline
My family eats this as a main dish, usually with cornbread, but it's a wonderful side dish for picnics, potlucks, and camping. We like it sweet, so we add another 1/4 cup of brown sugar, but you could also spice it up by adding jalapenos or another kind of chilies. It's even good cold! It freezes very well, too.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 onion
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can lima beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can pork and beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon until crispy. Drain and crumble. Put in large pot.
- Brown ground beef and onions together. Drain. Add to pot. (Bacon can be cooked with the ground beef and onions if cut into chunks. I use kitchen shears to just cut through all the slices--into about 1-1/2" chunks.).
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot. DO NOT drain the beans! Stir everything together.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer for about an hour. If you're going to let it simmer, don't add the lima beans right away, as they tend to fall apart.
- These are generally better the next day, but are might fine the same day!