Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this on the Kraft website and adjusted it a bit for our preferences. It's a tasty, super-easy dish! I use kitchen scissors to cut the tomatoes up into smaller pieces.
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) boxkraft macaroni & cheese dinner mix
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 14 ounces stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Boil macaroni.
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic in pan.
- Drain water from macaroni and grease from ground beef.
- Add milk and margarine to macaroni and stir until margarine is melted.
- Mix cheese packet from box into macaroni.
- Combine beef mixture, chili powder and tomatoes with macaroni.
- Serve when heated through.
I found this recipe when I was searching, at 5 PM, for something for dinner that would use a pound of hamburger. This recipe totally matched all my criteria--I had all the ingredients, it was quick, and it had a few good reviews. I wanted to love it, but I didn't. I found it very blah. The cheese flavor was non-existent (even DD - 8 - commented on it). My son didn't like the onions - which remained crunchy even though I sauted them with the hamburger. If I made it again, I think I would saute onions first till soft, then add hamburger. The other thing I found was that it was lukewarm. When you add the tomatoes, it brings the temp of all the rest of the ingredients down. The recipe says to heat through, but not at what temp - you turn off the heat when you make M&C, so I had the burner off - anyone who makes M&C knows that it burns and gets mushy if you leave the heat on, so I didn't. I did add some salt to my portion, and it helped. Very disapointing, because it smelled so good cooking, and it sounded like it would be very tasty, but it was blah. You can't beat it for ease, though.
Very yummy!!! I added about 4 oz of velveeta as well to make it even cheesier!
Awesome! Kids had seconds. Only changes made were instead of onons I used about an eighth tsp of onion powder as the kids don't like onions. And I didn't use any milk. I figured while making it that there was enough liquid in the can of tomatoes. It worked out perfectly. Thanks!!!