Recipe by Sharon123
Adapted from the Barefoot Contessa show, this is easy to make! Oh, and did I mention it's delicious too?!
Top Review by jackieblue
What a delicious way to enjoy a zucchini from the garden. I almost never use nutmeg but I left it in this recipe and I was glad I did. The saute time with the onions and garlic added a lot of depth. We will enjoy this again.
- 3 -5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for topping (start with 3, then see how much more you want to put in)
- 2 yellow onions, cut in 1/2 and sliced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 2 lbs zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick (about 4 zucchini)
- 1 -2 teaspoon kosher salt (or sea salt to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup hot milk
- 3⁄4-1 cup panko breadcrumbs (or Italian breadcrumbs)
- 3⁄4 cup grated gruyere cheese (or Gouda, cheddar, Swiss or Parmesan)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a 12-inch saute pan and cook the onions over low heat for about 20 minutes, or until tender but not browned. If using garlic, add the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Add the zucchini and cook, covered, for 10 minutes, or until just tender.
- Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes. Stir in the flour. Add the hot milk and cook over low heat for a few more minutes, until it makes a sauce.
- Pour the mixture into an 8"x10" baking dish.
- Combine the bread crumbs and cheese and sprinkle on top of the zucchini mixture. Dot with 1 tablespoon of the extra butter cut into small bits.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly and browned. Enjoy!