Summer Squash Au Gratin
A good use for a garden full of yellow squash or green (zucchini) squash or both!
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups diced summer squash, 1/2-inch dice (yellow or green or combo)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- salt, if needed to taste
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease/spray a casserole dish and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the squash, celery and oniona and saute in the butter for about 2-3 minutes, just until they are softened and barely tender. Do not overcook.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the sour cream, cheddar cheese, pepper and (if needed salt) and bacon.
- Mix well and place in the casserole dish. Sprinkle Parmesan over the top and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until lightly brown on top.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Yet another winner!! My picky dh who for the last 13 years has claimed he's "allergic" to zucchini actually ate this and liked he said he like the cheese and bacon in it.My ds ate most of it by himself and he's 18 months old.I didn't dice my zucchini but I did cut it into half circles. Just because I like that shape. I myself didn't care for the celery and will probably not add them in the next time I make it, because there will be a next time. I found as soon as I took it out of the oven it did have a sorty of leaky texture to it but once I let it sit and cool a bit it got a bit firmer. And the flavors were great, they all seemed to enhance each other. This will be yet another new addition to my family. Thanks again for another winner Parsley!Reply
This was okay, but didn't seem cohesive enough. The flavor was good but the diced squash weren't held together by the cheesy sauce. May be better if the zucchini were sliced (as in the usual potato au gratin). I cooked it for a little longer than called for in the recipe in an attempt to thicken up the sauce before deciding that it was done but wasn't going to solidify. I may play with this recipe a little more, because, as stated, the flavor was good.Reply
see 1 more