Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe uses canned black beans which cooks much faster than the dried variety, however, I still cook them for quite a while to achieve the desired "creaminess". If pickled pork is not available in your area you may substitute cubed smoked ham. This is great on a cold winter day served with hot cornbread.
- 4 slices lean bacon
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 lb pickled pork, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- sour cream (optional)
- grated sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- In large dutch oven saute bacon until crisp, then remove and set bacon aside.
- In bacon grease saute onions, bell pepper, garlic and celery over medium heat until soft, about 30 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients, lower fire and simmer covered for about 2 hours.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle top with grated cheese, if desired.