Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is from Taste of Home, posted for ZWT 6.
Make and share this Dutch Beets recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (13 1/2 ounce) cans beets, sliced
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Drain beets, reserving 1 cup liquid (discard remaining liquid); set beets aside.
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended.
- Gradually add the reserved beet liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and beets; heat through.
Excellent way to dress up canned beets. I prepared this exactly as written and we enjoyed it a lot.
Yummy canned beet enhancement! Made for a beautiful addition to our Thanksgiving meal!
Mage for Veg 'N Swap #28.
I made 1/2 the recipe using olive oil in place of butter and added a nice dose of fresh tarragon. An easy way to boost a can of beets. Yum-mo!