Recipe by The Range Rover
This dish might take awhile but it is worth it.
Top Review by witworm123
Excellent brunswick stew recipie. Like I had in the 1940's. Warning: I didnt watch tomato sauce carefully enough and it got dry..my fault. I also added more red pepper than needed making it a wee bit hotter than I normally like so go easy on pepper. I,m just adding some tom. Sauce to cut letting it go too long which works fine. This recipie is great if you hate to spend alot of time cooking and want something healthy..you can a lso freeze.
- 3 lbs broiler-fryer chickens
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup peeled chopped red potatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 3⁄4 cups frozen lima beans
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 3⁄4 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon poultry seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken and 1 1/2 tsp salt in large dutch oven; add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover then reduce heat and simmer 2 to 21/2 hours or until done.
- Drain and reserve broth.
- Remove and discard skin from the ckicken.
- Next bone and shred the chicken; set aside.
- Skim the fat from the broth and return it to the dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil,then reduce heat and simmer until the broth is reduced to 2 cups.
- Add potatoes and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, lima beans and onion and simmer 20 more minutes.
- Stir in chicken, corn and remaining ingredients and simmer 10 more minutes or until vegetables are tender.