Prep 1 hr
Cook 55 mins
Doc's Seafood Shack & Oyster Bar, Orange Beach, Alabama
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 lb skinned boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 (7/8 ounce) package brown gravy mix
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 3 tablespoons browning sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, suace
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt, plus
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt, plus
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons liquid crab boil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefrozen sliced okra
- 1 3⁄4 lbs unpeeled medium raw shrimp (31/40 count)
- 1 lb white fish fillet, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 lb fresh crabmeat
- 1⁄4 cup file powder
- hot cooked rice
- Heat oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over med-high heat.
- Add in chicken; saute 5 minutes or until browned.
- Remove chicken, reserving drippings in stockpot.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and celery; saute 4 minutes or until tender.
- Gradually add 7 cups water, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of stockpot.
- Return chicken to stockpot.
- Combine gravy mix and 1 cup water, stirring well.
- Add gravy mixture, parsley flakes, and the next 10 ingredients to stockpot.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat, and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Peel shrimp and devein.
- Add fish to gumbo mixture; cook 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp and crabmeat; cook 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Add file powder; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally or until thickened.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Remove gumbo from heat; serve over hot rice.